Monitoring water quality, and specifically turbidity/suspended sediment concentration, is highly important before, during and after dredging operations. Baseline environmental studies before dredging commences provide an understanding of the natural sediment environment. Monitoring during dredging, often with real time systems, is normally required as part of the licencing process and helps to protect sensitive natural environments. Monitoring afterwards allows the changed environment to be assessed.
The AQUAlogger 310TY turbidity logger can be used to monitor the sediment in suspension, enabling assessment of the sediment conditions throughout the dredging process.
Monitoring turbidity and suspended sediment concentration
- Measure turbidity to over 10,000FTU – monitor baseline turbidity, small scale variability and dredge plumes with one instrument
- Convert to suspended sediment concentration (SSC) – use the built in SSC Converter to input your in-situ samples and convert your turbidity measurements to sediment concentrations. If done prior to deployment, SSC data can be output in real time.
- Measure temperature and pressure – add temperature and depth as additional parameters to study thermal effects and track water level changes
- Flexible sampling – continuous or burst sampling, variable sample rates to monitor different parameters at different rates, and intermittent sampling for maximum control
Real time systems
- Real time capability as standard
- Complete real time systems - cabled and wireless solutions for full real time systems with data access via designated PC or secure website
- Alarmed systems – alarms set to specific turbidity or SSC levels can be included in real time systems, with text or email warnings or system messages to alert when limits are exceeded
Long term monitoring
- Long memory and battery life – with a 64MB memory and the ability to install lithium batteries, a battery and memory lie of up to a year can be achieved. For high frequency sampling or longer deployments, memory upgrades and external battery packs are available.
- Combat biofouling – automatic wipers can be added to minimise the risk of biofouling